Friday, October 19, 2007

Daddy's Day

Jaimie went back to work on Monday, so we left Parker at home with a nanny that day. I worked from home on Tuesday, so that I could watch Parker and get some good daddy/son time with him before Jaimie and Parker left for Austin the next day. I will not get be with either of them for one whole week, and going on day three now, I realize how hard this is going to be. So, I am thankful for my first, of many, Daddy Days.

Daddy day was fun. Parker is such a good baby and his favorite time of day is the mornings when he wakes up. This kid wakes up HAPPY. I mean, it's bizarre. He and his mommy both just LOVE the mornings. He's happy, he sings and laughs, he thinks everything is funny. I love it and it honestly helps me wake up as well (mornings are not daddy's favorite), but it makes me realize how sweet and innocent we all are at that age. I mean, nothing phases him, he isn't stressing about the work day ahead, a conference call, or even what to make for breakfast. He isn't responding to email, doing performance reviews, managing multiple budgets or prepping for presentations. He's just living. 

He eats, he poops, he laughs, he stares at objects he's locked onto, then he gets tired and falls asleep, only to repeat in a few hours. From here on out, everyday for him will begin to get more complicated. He will find his voice, he will roll over, he will sit up and crawl, he will learn to use his hands. And that will be a pretty full day for him. 

As he gets older and learns, I hope he takes it all in stride. I mean, it's silly to think about these things now, at the ripe old age of 10 weeks, but we all know how crazy and complicated your life becomes the older you get. You try to become more successful, your expenses seem to grow at the same rate as your income, you move across the country and leave what's familiar. If your kid has ANY drive what-so-ever, you hope they will push themselves to be successful. And success is coupled with a little stress now and then.

For now, it's fun to watch him achieve small goals. Holding his head up, grasping things, and locking onto daddy's face and reacting with a smile and "almost" a laugh. This is what I will remember years later. Trying to laugh could be just as important as interviewing for your first job. But right now, to me, it's the most important thing.

No comments: