Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Slacker's Personal Challenge


OK, I admit, keeping current and up to date with a blog is difficult with everything going on. I have wanted to do a solid update the past couple of evenings, but each evening it turns into daddy/baby time, so i actually have to fly to Boston to be able to sit down and get some thoughts out. But, I promise to be better and more diligent in my updates.

So, the past week has been as eventful as it can be with a new child in the house. Jaimie and I have become slightly efficient in trading off evenings in which either I stay up later or she wakes up earlier. The slight twist to our new routine came on Sunday, with the Malibu Triathlon

With the triathlon approaching (and me spending 0.00% of my time training for it the past few weeks), we felt it in my best interest to get rest before Sunday. This meant Jaimie was lucky enough to have a long shift both Friday and Saturday night. Now, Parker is doing much better and is beginning to understand the value of sleeping longer than 2 hours, but it's still inconsistent, so every night is a crap shoot.

Sunday morning, at 3:00am, I woke the family and loaded everyone in the car for the drive
 to Malibu. Arriving at 4:30am, the three of us slept in the car (along with hundreds of other early risers) until I had to make my way to the transition area for 6am. The race started at 7, my heat at 7:30, and finishing up with awards and brunch around 10am. Needless to say, both mommy and little man were total sports, supporting daddy as he "winged" a triathlon.

By the way, the Tri was fun. The swim was cold but easy, I got a flat tire on the bike and the run killed me. But other than my personal issues, the Walt Disney Company raised $235,000 for the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles.

After the tri, we went to visit our friends Tyler and Mel for Tyler's birthday BBQ. Arriving home around 4:30, we took some time at home, then jumped back in the car to go visit our friend Susy at the hospital, who had just given birth to her twins.

So, when it's all said and done, we logged a good couple of hundred miles in the car, visited 4 cities and handed Parker to a lot of people, both friends and strangers. And somehow we still managed to keep moving on Monday.

I am always thankful of how lucky we are to have such a good natured baby. He takes everything with ease right now, always looking around, trying to figure things out, but not getting upset unless he has a reason. But I really have to point out how lucky I am for such an amazing wife, who knows we both have each other's back and makes the sacrifices she can so I can push a little bit harder.

Payback, of course, was Monday evening. And now she is on her own until Friday, where it's my turn this weekend. But you know what, I really like that we can be there for each other and for Parker. I like knowing Jaimie is putting him first when she has him, just as much as she knows I am putting him first when I have him.

In cheerleader speak, "Parker is #1."

New photos posted, go getcha some.

No comments: